Paris is sweet on the eye, sweet on the romance and sweet on the palette. It is a sugar lovers dream and the only problem you’ll have when it comes the delectible French deserts is which one to choose. To help you navigate that yummy last course we’ve broken down the top 10 must try deserts for your visit to France. And if you have to eat more than one a day just to get through them? Well, c’est la vie!
1. The Tartes Aux Fruits – The tartes aux fruits are prepared with fresh fruit inside a buttery pastry. The fruit sit atop a heavenly Chantilly cream. You can enjoy these tartes in both miniature and pie sizes.
2. The Éclair – The éclair is a popular dessert in Paris. The long French choux pastry can be filled with either a rich custard or pastry cream, and topped with a sweet fondant. By definition, the term éclair means lightning in French. Go figure!
3. The Paris Brest – This pastry was created to celebrate the Paris to Brest bicycle ride in 1891. Naturally, its circular and contains praline flavored crème and choux pastry.
4. Macaron – Macarons are undeniably delectable. There are so many flavors to choose from. The base ingredients include an airy meringue and almonds. Be sure to not confuse with coconut macaroons, in which the English added the -oon to the word in the 16th century.
5. The Tarte Au Citron– Tarte Au Citron also known as the lemon tart are also very popular. Donning a pastry crust and delicious lemon filling. The filling, however, is not made with fruit. The cream is a mixture containing lemon juice, lemon zest and of course, eggs and sugar
6. The Mille Feuille – This fluffy treat comes in a vanilla or custard slice and is comprised of several layers of puff pastry. Between the puff pastry lies an additional two layers of pastry crème. Another name for the Mille Feuill is the Napoleon.